After my very emotional and difficult Tuesday night, I had a great day on Wednesday. The workouts were all very tough but I was able to stay challenged by them and not feel defeated. I think it was great to get some rest...perhaps that is why I was able to enjoy yesterday so much.
Today has been a long day and good in many ways. We went on another mountain hike which was tough on my knees but great on my eyes...the views were magnificant. I think any Texan would love being able to walk in 40-50 degree temperature while gazing at snow-capped mountains in the middle of June. It is GREAT!!!
We had another group session with our therapist. It was really good...all about staying in touch with ourselves...staying aware...learning or relearning to trust the wonderful interworkings of these human bodies God has created. If we listen to our bodies...they really will tell us when to eat and what, when to rest, when to take time away to listen clearly to God...and when to get up and move, move, move.
So many of us who have spent most of our lives so focused on dieting or weightloss that we have lost touch with trusting what God has already given us. We start looking for fads or doctors or trainers or... to tell us how to live in a healthy way. It doesn't have to be that complicated, does it? Food doesn't have to mean more than fuel...it really can be that simple.
Did you know that bad habits actually become biological...actually become part of our brain's wiring? Our actions, thoughts, beliefs all have these neurological pathways that because of repitition get kind of carved into our brain's make up. In order to change our bad habits, faulty beliefs,unhealthy thinking...we have to start building new pathways in our brains. And that takes Deciding and Repition. Deciding to do something different and then doing the healthy thing again and again and again. Research has shown that it takes anywhere from 21 days to 66 days to really get a start on a new pattern being formed in the brain. When we choose to not repeat the new habit, our brain automatically defaults back to the old pattern. That explains a lot, I think.
Anyway, I know this isn't new for all of my therapist friends out there. This coginitive behavioral stuff is "old hat"...we talk about it all the time. Guess it takes me back to perspective again. Hearing it here in this place, as part of this process...is like hearing it for the first time. :)
Ok, I gotta go spin and swim and then I have my first massage tonight. :)
Hope you all are doing well...thanks for cheering for me...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Happy B-day Sues! Just wanted you to know we're all thinking about you and praying for you. I heart U, rox
ReplyDelete